A meeting of Washington Agate and Mineral Society (WAMS) was held at First Baptist Church of Lacey on Tuesday, February 7, 2023 from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Call to order: Doug Shank called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM
Attendees: 19 in attendance
Announcements, Old business, new business, show and tell, break, program
- The new WAMS website, wamsolympia.com, is now public and active!
- We would like to plan a field trip. We could use the, Washington Gem Trails guide book for places to go.
- Would like to see if anyone is willing to share their lapidary techniques, tips, and shop setups to help others learn the hobby?
- The proposal to move the meeting location to the Olympia Center in downtown Olympia was discussed, but the motion was not voted on.
- The new start time of 6:30 PM was unanimously passed by a majority vote. So, WAMS meetings will now start at 6:30 PM.
- We still need someone to be President of the board. Jim Sachet has volunteered to be Vice President.
- Dan, the show chairman requested that someone write up a bulletin advertising our rock show in late July so it can be posted on our website and in the Tenino Chamber of Commerce announcement for Oregon Trail Days.
- Dan also discussed new information that The Tenino Chamber of Commerce announced at their first meeting for the 2023 Oregon Trail Days, OTD.
Show and Tell:
Doug- brought in a heart he made from Biggs jasper and a cabochon made from poppy jasper
Bryan- had a nice big chunk of nephrite jade and explained how and where it is formed.
Jerry- displayed some Tiffany stone and gave a little history about the name and where it is found.
Jim S. – gave tips on drilling holes in stones
Jim P. – talked about stalactites and stalagmites with an example most likely from Carlsbad cave in New Mexico.
Wyatt- brought a nice Smoky quartz specimen.
Natasha- found a yellow and green rock and wanted to ID it.
John D. – Ellensburg Blue pendant.
Becky- a very nice crab fossil.
Gretchen- Pyrite samples from a mine in Chile, and an azurite cabochon.
Tammera- a handmade Smoky citrine pendant.
If you participated in show and tell you get a ticket for the raffle drawing.
Treasurer Report: Nothing to report
Program: no program tonight
Meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM
Approval of minutes: Douglas Shank, Secretary